Monday, January 15, 2007

Tech Talk # 001

Welcome to a new feature debuting today on SS!

I have had numerous requests from family & friends to share my insights, opinions, successes and failures regarding technology. To that end, I'll post information, reviews, "how to's", etc. from time to time as I come across things that interest me or that I have somehow become (or been forced to become) familiar with. I'll even look back at some of the existing technologies I have implemented and discuss those too.

To start off the inaugural Tech Talk (TT) posts, I'm going to focus on the Google Reader. This gadget (actually it's a web site) is a pretty handy and downright cool tool. It's designed to help you keep track of your favorite websites, blogs, RSS feeds, etc. I have two accounts, one I use for work related information and the other for my personal stuff.



So, how does it work? Well first you need a Google account. Once you have your account, go to the Google Reader login page and sign in with your account information. Once you're logged in, follow the detailed help prompts to subscribe to your very first feed.

In case anyone out there is wondering what some of my subscriptions are, here's a partial list:


One of my favorite work-related blogs that I visit daily is Google SEO extraordinaire Matt Cutts (this is a great site to add to you're subscription list if you are into SEO & SERMA). Anyway, Matt has a great post on the reader and some of it's cool features.

So talk a few minutes and check out the reader sometime, hopefully you'll enjoy it and find it as useful as I have!

No comments: